Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Indian Railways - Jaago Grahak Jaago !

Travelling is something that I do very often. Much often. I travel a lot. Mostly due to either business reasons or due to social reasons.

And each journey has a story of its own, a problem of its own. This time. while travelling back home to Falna from Mumbai in 2480 Suryanagari Exp, I found this train to be one of the worst maintained trains on the whole route.

I rarely travel in this train. But this time, I had to. And I came across the poor maintenance this train goes through. The coaches are in bad shape and condition. The toilets do not have proper taps and flushes.

Oh man ! I should not be discussing the condition of toilets on my blog ! Yuck ! Am I doing it for real? Lemme pinch myself... *OUCH !!* That hurt... That means this was for real ! Oooohh.... No more toilet talks.

On one hand, Railways Minister Mamata Banerjee talks of getting 'Bullet Trains' in India and this is what they provide? The Mumbai-Rajasthan route is one of the busiest routes. The trains are almost always jampacked. And look at the facilities they provide. Disgusting !

Mamata-jee, do you need a wake up call? Oh yes ! How would you know the plight of the common man... You never travel by second-class, forget the General (unreserved) coaches. You only travel by the Rajdhanis and the Shatabdis and if by any other train, that too only in First Class AC coaches. How would you know this?

Here's a picture of the coach I was in (Coach S7, Seat No. 66, 2480 Suryanagari Exp, 1st Feb 2010, in case any railway official needs while considering my complaint). This shows that old (read :: antique) coaches are being used in such high revenue generating routes. Full fare paying passengers are being given sub-standard service.

I don't think I need to take the pics of the toilets to show the condition. Even if it was necessary, I'd like to see myself dead rather than clicking pics of toilets and putting them up on my blog. ;)

Moreover, when I tried to find out the mail ID where I can lodge a complaint via e-mail, I was unable to find it on the Indian Railways and IRCTC sites. The North Western Railways site wasn't even working ! Wow... We're heading towards a world-class rail network.

With this kind of service it is still a distant dream !

Jaago Grahak Jaago !

8 comments:

  1. lolzzz hw cn u ntce so mch..hehe cnt stp laughng..nce ne...dnt u thnk dis ne shuld b n crapo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ shruti -
    thanx :) n stop laughing nw...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ankit...
    i must appreciate ur keen observation n u ur gutts to actually sit n think abt it!
    n btw i agree wid shruti dis one wud b btr placed in crapo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ garima -
    thnx for da comment :) actually i wrote dis stuff in d train itself... had nothng to do... plus no company... so wrote dis !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good observations and analysis, yes trains and coaches are in really bad phase, but i think its just not the government responsible for not maintaining but also public to a great extent.
    There are many anti social elements travelling who spoil seats, tear them, break lights and windows,spit around, write their names on walls...
    So it's both public who are spoilng things and railway administration not maintaining it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ rashmi -
    wow ! what an account !! mind blowing.... thnx... btw i agree dat even passengers n hooligans are also responsible... but the railways has a larger responsibility.... isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also must understand our responsibility towards the public property

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ BK Chowla sir -
    yes sir.... agreed !

    ReplyDelete