Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Holi

Holi - the festival of colours - is up in a couple of days.

Holi celebrations generally begin with the lighting of bonfire (called 'Holika') on the Holi eve to cleanse the air of evil spirits and bad vibes, indicating the victory of the good over the bad. In many parts of the country, the celebrations begin well in advance, as early as a month before the Holi-day (** pun unintended **).

Holi celebration makes the festival more exuberant and vivid when people rub ‘gulaal' on each others faces and cheer up saying, “BURA NAA MAANO HOLI HAI” (meaning :: Don't mind, its Holi).

I, myself, have not played Holi since the last 5-6 years. And thats certainly not because I do not like playing Holi or I'm scared of being coloured black-and-blue-and-red-etc. Its just 'coz that I now just don't feel like playing Holi.

I might sound a bit philosophical or like a 'Save Water' campaigner, but I now hate the way people waste water on this day. I do not say that I have never played Holi sans water. Even I've wasted much water. But ever since I came to know about the preciousness of water, I have stopped playing Holi.

I know I can't force anybody to stop playing Holi. But I urge all my readers to at least reduce the amount of water they waste and encourage others to do the same. By doing this, you're helping yourselves.

That's all I wanted to say....

Happy Holi once again !

PS : Amitabh Bachchan is also not playing Holi this time 'coz of 26/11 attacks. (as said in his blog)

5 comments:

  1. nce blog......
    sumthng different...
    keep writng n happy holi 2 u 2....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ shruti -
    thanks for ur wishes n comment.... yeah its indeed a different post....

    r u planning to reduce the amount of water u waste???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ankit, very well written and topic is very relevent.I hope some of the readers will see reason and save water.I promise, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mr B K Chowla -
    Thank you very very much sir for your concern....

    ReplyDelete