Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thirty-three idiots + 1


Living life in bits and parts… sharing… saving and spending… and a lot more than this account for the experiences that one gets in a place where one is on his own, and yet he/she knows that he/she will be taken care of. Yes. I am talking about the college life, and Degree College, to be specific.

I am a TYBSc Biotechnology student. Life for me meant 7 hours at college and the rest at home struggling to keep up with everything else that mattered… parents, health, household, friends, society, etc. In the wake of making a place for myself in the corporate world I thought I was missing a lot. I envied my pals from other faculties, thought they had fun while we were screwing up our asses in the labs looking for micro organisms under the microscope and figuring out their morphology. The guys in my class comment:

“Ma’am there are other living beings on this planet and studying their morphology would be of incomparable interests!”

I don’t really think I need to explain this one.

Well in complete contrast to my first paragraph are the experiences that I have had in my 3 years of Degree College. No doubt we as science students had a tough regular schedule but no one could have enjoyed as much as we did while learning.
In these three years I have grown up with the company of 33 others (my batch mates) like me. We learnt to hate, we learnt to love, and we learnt the meaning of second chances and also the meaning of forgiving endlessly. In spite of all our differences together we gave birth to ‘KAOS- Nature is restless’ the festival of our department , in our 2nd year i.e. in 2008 and also 'KAOS'09-Nature is restless' in 2009 on a larger scale. The making of this fest was a life time experience. We celebrated all festivals in college. Our biotech lab was our party place. We would get cakes, sweets, snacks, balloons; decide a dress code for our department. The teachers always supported our little effort to create a better bond between students and teachers.


The only thing that I will miss after my Ty is my class. We being the batch with the least strength (34) have made our mark in our college. Our unity impressed all and made things work in our favor most of the times. Our head of the department Dr. Aparna Deshmukh termed us as the best batch the college has ever seen. She admires the unity our batch shows under any circumstances then may it be mass bunking or asking for an IV(industrial visit) or may be while organizing a fest or protesting against unfair rules of the college. We have faced the criticism when we were called a bunch arrogant and head strong people. Yes, we are like any other group who has heroes and villains. We love and hate at the same time.


Today as we are coming to the end of the last academic year of Degree College I feel butterflies in my stomach. I feel as if there is a hole in my heart. I am scared to see the end of this wonderful journey with all its good and bad. I will miss loving those friends who have made tough times easier and will miss hating those who made tough times worse. I will miss the days when the Prof. would catch me studying for the next days test or playing antakshari on paper. Those days when together we cursed all other beings on earth; those days when we laughed at even the worst of PJs; those nick names assigned to a few people; those days when we fought as if one will kill another; those days when we cried over foolish issues; those days when I and my friends would chat via SMSes during the lectures; those games of truth and dare and all those stupid dares that we gave and the game of dumb charades with all weird movie names; and a lot more to add to the list.


All in all I am proud of the 3 years that I have spent in company of 33 other idiots like me.
CHEERS!!! To all that we have had and all that is yet to come in the last few days!!

9 comments:

  1. awesome.... u made me relive some golden moments of my life... i've dun almost everythng listed above.... college days are the most cherished days in life... :)

    cheerz to u n dis post !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ankit
    hey dude...thnx... m so glad u lykd it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ abhishek -
    thanks a lot on garima's behalf :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @abhishek
    dat 1 word made my day...thnx...wish to get ur cmmnts more often!!

    @BK Chowla sir
    yeah the xperiences r unique..u must ve had dem too..thnx!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post....
    It made me remember my D.C. days, my best times, n dey were quite similar to yours, in fact most of them, i could identify with each word of urs. As a microbiology student, hated being between those two burners but lab was truly a fun place to be. N even our class believed in unity and on 25th anniversary of our department we organized a microbiology fest for the first time.
    And at the end of my D.C. it was like i was leaving a piece of my heart behind....
    those frnds, laughs, cries n wht not....

    Thanx 4 such a grt post, u made the memorable days of my life, flash in front of my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ rashmi -
    thanks on garima's behalf.... n every science student has almost the same college life.... exciting n hectic !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @rashmi
    thnx a ton!! m so hpy i gud bring u gd memories! yeah lab wrk is fun!! struggling wid d microscope n our attempts to avoid contamination phew...it takes a lot of effort!!

    ReplyDelete